HAVE YOU EVER SAT BACK AND CALCULATED YOUR POTENTIAL EARNINGS FROM GROWING YOUR SKILL SET IN STYLING? WELL, ALLOW ME TO DO THESE FIGURES FOR YOU FROM HAIRCARE AUSTRALIA MAGAZINE…
If you can attract 6 wedding parties per year to your salon consisting of
1 Bride @ $120
1 Bridal trial @ $120
3 Bridesmaids @ $330
1 Flower Girl @ $70
1 Mother of the Bride @ $85
The total cost is $725
Multiply this by the 6 wedding parties – $725 x 6 = $4350
Let’s now look at school formals. As we know, teenagers come in packs – they NEVER come alone!
If you can attract 6 different schools to visit your salon and they come in groups of 4, expect the following revenue….
4 x Debutantes or school formals @ $440
Multiply this by 6 schools – $440 x 6 = $2640
Over the past 20 years of specializing in styling, I have always been aware that the cut and colour service in my salons creates the most amount of money for my till. You would not believe how many other salons refer our salon for their client’s big day. Of course, at the time they are thinking they will only come for the one visit and then return to their much loved stylist, but we have trained our team how to add into the consultation “If I ever had the opportunity to colour your hair, I would suggest we did ……… ”
This client is always given a $50 gift card off their first colour service. Ipromise you this has proven over the years to grow our regular colour business.
So let’s say you have now attracted only 4 of the styling clients to become regular 6 week colour clients
– 4 colour clients visiting every 6 weeks = 8.66 visits per year All have an average bill of $150 (I have kept the colour cost very conservative)
This equates to a further $5196 IN YOUR TILL !!!!! per year
So let’s add all this up
6 Bridal Parties $ $4350
24 Formal hair styles $2640
4 New colour clients $5196
Total extra – $12,186 in YOUR TILL !!!!!!
Right now I am hoping you are thinking “OMG! Lorna Evans is looking at very low numbers I am sure I could attract more business than that if I am AMAZING at styling!” And you would be right – the work is out there – your clients and the salon down the road’s clients are always going to have a special occasion in their lives so DON’T MISS THESE AMAZING OPPORTUNITIES !!!!!!
Best of all, when you feel confident at styling, your job is no longer a job – it’s just fun making people look and feel great.
- Some other statistics…. More than 120,000 weddings took place in Australia this year and the numbers are still on the increase!
- NSW - approx 40,500 weddings per year
- VIC – approx 27,700 weddings per year
- QLD - approx 26,300 weddings per year
- WA - approx 12,100 weddings per year
- SA - approx 8,200 weddings per year
- TAS – approx 2,600 weddings per year
- ACT – approx 1,600 weddings per year
- NT - approx 900 weddings per year
- The average bride in Australia is now 29
- The average groom in Australia is now 31
- The average cost of a wedding isapproximately $30,000
- 75% of these weddings are first marriages
- 66% of weddings today are performed by a civil celebrant
- Brides spend approximately 200 hours planning their wedding day
Thank you for reading my article in Haircare Australia Magazine, even though the figures relate to Australian statistics I think that they translate to any market around the world.
If you enjoyed this please share the Facebook post with your friends.
To increase your confidence in Long Hair styling please click one of the links below